Hima Das, the reigning junior world champion has qualified for Tokyo Olympics 2021 and will represent India. However, the formal announcement is yet to be made.
The 20-year-old Indian sprinter from the state of Assam will be representing India in the upcoming Olympics, scheduled to be held from 23rd July to 8th August in Tokyo, Japan.
Hima holds the Indian national record in 400 meters with a timing of 50.79 seconds which she clocked at the Asian Games 2018 held in Jakarta, Indonesia. She is the first Indian athlete to bag a gold medal in a track event at the IAAF World U20 Championships.
Nicknamed ‘Dhing Express’, Hima Das is an Indian sprinter from the state of Assam. She became the first Indian woman — indeed the first-ever Indian athlete — to win a gold medal in any format of a global track event at the IAAF World U20 Championships when she clocked a speed of 51.46 seconds. Born on January 9, 2000, to rice farmers in Dhing village of Assam’s Nagaon district, Das won five back-to-back gold medals in about a month in Czech Republic in July 2019.
Das mainly takes part in women’s 400-metre, 200-metre and 4×400-metre relays. At Asian Games in 2018, she won a silver medal in the 4×400-metre mixed relay. She also set an Indian U20 record of 51.32 seconds to finish sixth in the Commonwealth Games 400m final in Gold Coast in April 2018. In September 2018, Adidas signed an endorsement deal with Hima Das. She was also conferred with Arjuna Award by the President of India on September 25, 2018.
- July 2, 2019: Hima Das bagged 200m gold in Poznan Athletics Grand Prix in Poland in 23.65 seconds.
- July 7, 2019: Hima Das won 200m gold at the Kutno Athletics Meet in Poland in 23.97 seconds.
- July 13, 2019: Das won 200m gold at the Kladno Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic in 23.43 seconds.
- July 17, 2019: Das won a gold medal in the 200m race at Tabor Athletics Meet Czech Republic in 23.25 seconds.
- July 20, 2019: Das won a gold medal in the 400-metre event in Nove Mesto, Czech Republic, in 52.09 seconds.
- At Asian Games in 2018, Hima Das won a silver medal in the 4×400-metre mixed relay
- In July, 2018, Das won the 400 m final at the World U-20 Championships 2018 at Tampere in Finland by clocking 51.46 seconds
- She also set an Indian U20 record of 51.32 seconds to finish sixth in the Commonwealth Games 400m final in Gold Coast in April 2018.