April 23 is globally observed as World Book Day, also known as the World Book and Copyright Day. Interestingly, April 23 is a symbolic date for world literature because on this date in 1616 that Cervantes, Shakespeare, and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega all died.
In the preparation for this day, UNESCO encouraged people to explore new topics, formats, or genres out of their ordinary. “Our goal is to engage people in reading, and to have fun doing so! As a celebration of this year, UNESCO has created a ‘Bookface’ challenge,” it said on its website.
History World Book Day:
Firstly, In 1995, UNESCO decided to celebrate this day, and since then, the date has prominent in the history of literature.
Secondly, April 23 marks the death and birth anniversary of many other prominent authors, such as Maurice Druon, Haldor K.Laxness, Vladimir Nabokov, Josep Pla, and Manuel Mejía Vallejo. Therefore, it became obvious to UNESCO to choose April 23 to celebrate this special day.
Each year, UNESCO and the international organizations representing the three major sectors of the book industry — publishers, booksellers, and libraries — select the World Book Capital for a one-year period, through its own initiatives, the impetus of the Day’s celebrations, effective April 23 each year.
As per UNESCO, the city of Tbilisi in Georgia was selected as the World Book Capital for 2021.
The sure cure for cabin fever: one dose of imagination and one click to the World Digital Library for free access to thousands of books, documents & photos from all countries and cultures.
— UNESCO 🏛️ #Education #Sciences #Culture 🇺🇳😷 (@UNESCO) April 22, 2021
Meanwhile, UNESCO ”encourages you to challenge yourself, to explore new topics, formats, or genres that out of your ordinary.”
“You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.”― Ray Bradbury
— UNESCO 🏛️ #Education #Sciences #Culture 🇺🇳😷 (@UNESCO) April 23, 2021
Inspirational Quotes about books:
1. “Reading is like breathing in, writing is like breathing out.” – Pam Allyn
2. “Keep reading. It’s one of the most marvelous adventures that anyone can have.” – Lloyd Alexander
3. “I am a part of everything that I have read.” – Theodore Roosevelt
4. The wise man reads both books and life itself. — Lin Yutang
5. “A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it.” – Samuel Johnson
6. “Reading is a conversation. All books talk but a good book listens as well.’’- Mark Haddon
7. “Few Children learn to love books by themselves. Someone has to lure them into the wonderful world of the written word; someone has to show them the way.’’-Orville Prescott
8. “Books are like mirrors: You only see in them what you already have inside you.”-Carlos Ruis Zafon
9. “A book fell on my shelf and revamped by mindset’’-Random
10. “Every creature in the world is like a book and a picture and a mirror for us.’’- Alian de Lille
11. “Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” ― George R.R. Martin
12. “A book is a dream that you hold in your hand.–Neil Gaiman
13. “I read a book one day and my whole life was changed.” ― Orhan Pamuk