“The world needs strong women. Women who will lift and build others, who will love and be loved. Women who live bravely, both tender and fierce. Women of indomitable will.”—Amy Tenney
Women are more often the unsung heroes. Being a woman, is it really possible to combine work with study, do well in your course… and still have a life?
It is said that The empowered woman is powerful beyond measure and beautiful beyond description. There is no force more powerful than a woman determined to rise.. when a woman wants to be self-independent, financially, and socially, in every way possible, there is nothing that can stop her.
The inspiring story of Gitanjoli Saikia, a Political Science student of Hemo Prova Borbora Girls’ College from Golaghat is a source of motivation for the young generation because of her hard work and confidence. What Gitanjoli is doing today, many young people can not even think of doing, let alone Girls.
Gitanjoli, who knows, hailing from a lower Middle-class family how hard it gets for her parents sometimes to provide them even the basic necessities, let’s not talk about extra expenses. Being a girl, like all other girls she also loves doing makeup and all other kinds of stuff that her parents can’t afford. She is also doing her graduation in Political science from Hemprabha Barbara girls’ College.
And affording her studies gets tougher for her parents.
Therefore to support her parents and her Studies, dreams, and wishes financially, she started a small eatery in front of her home in Merapani. Because there is a saying, Either you run the day or the day runs you.
When the coronavirus pandemic began to sweep the world – wreaking havoc and killing more than 400,000 people as of early June. The year 2020 has been quite exhausting as People are suffering, employees running jobless, the working class being stuck at home, succumbing to poverty and helplessness, health workers staying away from their family to take care of the one’s in the hospital, a time of losing connections with the outer world physically and getting accustomed to the virtual world that revolves behind a screen has been quite a difficult yet unfortunate time.
In these tough times,Gitanjoli is a new generation’s girl, noway less than a boy who firmly believes that if a boy can run an eatery while studying, why can’t a girl do the same? there is no shame in working and earning for your own good and to support your own family.
Your limitation—it’s only your imagination.
Gitanjoli’s this positive attitude towards hard work, self-independence, courage, and confidence have set an example for the youth who only complains about unemployment and poverty and never really thought about working anything on their own like this Girl Gitanjoli is doing. Gitanjoli is showing to youth and the world, how to fight with your poverty, and to become an inspiration for many.
The following points will discuss why financial independence is important among women
- In times of emergencies: Today, nothing is certain – be it jobs or life. You must understand that if only the husband is the bread earner, with the wife and kids being dependent on him, then there is reason to worry for the family. This is because, if the husband loses his job or is unable to work for some reason, then he might have to take loans or extinguish all the contingency reserves of the family, till he finds another job. Similarly, in case of an unfortunate demise of the breadwinner, other family members might have to suffer financial setbacks (assuming there is inadequate insurance). In all of the above cases, a lot of situations could have been managed without too much financial stress if the lady of the house was also financially independent.
- To meet the rising cost of living: Inflation, as we all know, has risen noticeably in the last few decades. To own a decent home, send your kids to a good school, and live an above-average standard of living has become very difficult. Hence, if women are financially independent they can not only contribute to the daily expenses of the household but also help to meet the family’s financial goals.
- For raising their self-morale: Financially independent people are capable of making their own decisions and don’t have to depend on anybody. This increases their self-respect and makes them more confident to face any kind of situation in life. Moreover, being individuals, a lot many women might be having some aspirations and dreams, but for the fulfillment of which they have to depend on their parents or spouses. Being financially independent will enable them to self-sufficiently fulfill their wishes such as doing a course for enhancing their skill-sets, going for a trip with friends, buying things that they desire, and so on.
- To stop feeling helpless: It is a sad fact that a lot of women in the world are victims of domestic violence or suppression by their family members. However, due to financial dependency, they continue to tolerate injustice and crime. Therefore, it is extremely important that every woman becomes financially independent so that they never have to feel helpless in life.
- To become a role-model: A woman who is capable of standing on her own feet and has an opinion of her own is a role-model and a source of inspiration for other women in society. She motivates others to stand tall with dignity and say no to violence. Moreover, children learn from what they see. If kids see that their mothers are financially independent, they will also understand the value of money and be inspired to be self-sufficient in life when they grow up.
In an Interview, Gitanjali has said that she would feel glad If her work motivates at least 2 more girls to come forward and work on their own to help themselves instead of shying away or waiting for any Company or government’s job.
When Unemployment is rising every day, Educated Girls like Gitanjoli, who come forward to work while continuing their studies should be idealized. They are the real face of Feminism and women empowerment who earns on their own and support her family as well as her own needs. Because Empowered women lead an empowered world.